Anger Management For Court Appointed

By Marty Brenner, RAS CAMS11

Any judge who orders anger management classes to be taken by a person who is brought before his bench, is giving that person a break. No one goes before a judge unless he has broken the law and has been charged by the police. The first step in anger management is to recognize that you have been charged with committing a crime and are before a judge who can substitute jail time for anger management classes.

However, if you were charged with striking somebody who called you a name, a bad name or who swore at you, and the person you struck wasn’t seriously hurt, the judge might consider sentencing you to complete an anger management class before going any further with your trial. Anger management can also be a condition for husbands who have a history of bullying their wives and whose wives will not press charges. Their actions have necessitated police action and the husband was charged for disturbing the peace. Another
scenario might be if you were arrested for reckless driving and you were found not to be drunk, but angry, anger management classes might be another option that a judge might take.

Although you might be thinking that a fine, a heavy fine might be a deterrent, that really isn’t always the case. In individuals whose threshold of tolerance for being personally insulted, demoralized, or harassed is low, a fine will be forgotten at the time of the next incident, but six months of anger management classes will not easily be forgotten.

The interesting part of anger management is that even if the therapist instructor isn’t the best, just the fact that you have to show up every week for six months initiates a change in your everyday activities. Forcing of your personality to commit to a program that you might find ridiculous will however impact your automatic response system. The requirement of attending anger management classes has also been shown to help alleviate intermittent explosive disorder which can prove to be a real problem in learning to adjust to everyday stress.

If you are being court appointed to attend anger management classes, you can make arrangements with a psychiatrist on your own who will appear with you if you pay him, to testify that you are under treatment and that you pose no threat to yourself or to others. Also, if he prescribes a short-term anxiety reliever medication that might sway the judge to reconsider mandating anger management classes.

But, basically, anger is a debilitating disorder. It can rob you of your dignity and more than that it can cost you time in jail. Repeated acts caused by built up anger that explodes also known as intermittent explosive disorder will probably cost you your marriage, if you are married. There really is no definite cure for anger without anger management and/or medication. Your family might have become adjusted to baiting you willfully or through habit. They are not going to change, but you must learn to build up your acceptance of their habits or lose them. The most important thing to remember is that without a structured program of targeting your emotional ups and downs and teaching you how to resolve anger without violence, you will never change your behavior by yourself unless some catastrophic act happens to you that causes you to stop. And, even then, studies have shown that once the shock of the act has passed, people with anger problems go back to old habits if they do not follow anger management techniques and/ or medication.

I specialize in Anger Management classes, Domestic violence counseling, Alcohol Addiction, Drug Addiction, Life Skill development, Problem Solving skills, Coordinator Support, Relapse Prevention, Risk Management, Interpersonal communication skills.

I work with Individuals challenged with various addictions including but not limited to – substance abuse, alcohol, and anger. I am a certified chemical dependency counselor and anger management facilitator. If you, a family member or someone you know is in trouble with substance abuse or anger, we can work together to determine what the best course of action to take on behalf of you and that individual who is seeking help.

I can help, call me when you need to talk: 213-500-8865. For more information about Marty and his practice , visit his web site at